Saturday, August 14, 2010

Bold Strokes Responded...

Well, Bold Strokes responded. It's half good news, half bad news. I received a personalized e-mail that said, basically: Your writing is good and your voice distinctive, but we are simply not looking to publish fantasy books at this time. We are interested in seeing some of your other work.

Right now, I am not sure what to do. My other works are, well...


Death Wears Yellow Garters is too zany and not nearly polished enough to be published.

Chopin at 3:00 in the Morning is far too "high school"...

My Name is Brianna is too short.


Everything else that I have written is for the fantasy genre... I am dealing with a storm of emotions right now, and I will not sure what decisions I will make in the future or what I will do next, but I do know one thing. I am not giving up. TSS is a damn good book, and I'm proud of it, and I'm sure that, eventually, it will find a home, whether it's with Bold Strokes or not. Even if I have to tear it apart and redo it completely... even if I have to focus on some non-fantasy for now because that's what publishers want... no matter what I end up doing, I'm getting that damn book published if it's the last thing I do. I'm not sure when or how, but it's going to happen.

In other news, I only have 10,000 words left to go on The Witch's Daughter. The first two parts are up on The Academy and The Athenaeum (or will be, shortly). Oh, and on fictionpress, but those parts still have some editing mistakes.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. I don't really know what to say about that... write what makes you happy? But good for you for not giving up on TSS and for even sending it off in the first place! I seriously can't see you remaining unpublished for long. I would consider that response a temporary road block.

Knightmare said...

As I've read countless times, some of the greatest writers have been rejected hundreds of times.

Just for submitting to a publisher makes you awesome. I have a rejection letter of two from Bold Strokes, it's just a part of being a writer.

Like I said, even contacting a publisher is more than most hopefuls manage. You have enough confidence in your work that you're ready to show the world, and that deserves to be applauded whether or not they choose you.

Good luck with future submissions.

Brenda Agaro said...

Don't give up on submitting TSS! I'm sure there are other publishing houses that will accept fantasy with LGBT themes. Fantasy is popular these days, so I don't think every publisher is going to reject it.

That's awesome that Bold Strokes gave positive feedback about your work. If it's the book you want as your debut novel, then keep submitting. Someone will say yes.

Post a Comment