Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Worldbuilding: Part Two

Building your own world can be exciting and difficult. I have already written about this subject, but here are some more ways to get inspired.


1. Research mythology and legends.

They can give you some surprising ideas. In my novel, Wolf's Eyes, the process of turning a human into a Wyr (Werewolf) is based on ancient mythology about werewolves and the vikings - sewing animal skin onto your body allows you to turn into the animal or channel its spirit.


2. Don't "steal", but "borrow"

I am a total advocate of "borrowing" ideas from other writers. The trick is to change these ideas enough so that no one recognizes where they are from or who came up with them. You must make them your own, or else that would be stealing, and stealing is wrong. >_> I will take the secret of where I came up with some of my ideas to my grave.


3. Make your themes human.

Sometimes, writers of sci-fi and fantasy forget that their stories aren't just about magic and spaceships, but about characters and their relationships. The setting is only that: a setting. As interesting as that setting may be, don't use it to carry the story.


4. Bounce ideas off a friend/family member/lover.

My novels would never have been written if my friends, and especially my girlfriend, had not put up with my nonsensical ramblings about plot ideas. They told me when it was good, when it sucked, and when they thought I was going in the wrong direction. Find honest ones willing to put up with you, and you're golden. If they are also writers, return the favor.


5. For heaven's sake, please make your names readable and not difficult to pronounce. Xtthrllsax is not a name. S'ri'lan'wee is also not a name. Try taking some human names and tweaking them a little bit instead of going all crazy with the consonants and apostrophes.


6. Read lots of books.

The only way to truly learn how to write fantasy and sci-fi is to become a reader. See how the good authors did it. If you find a bad fantasy or sci-fi book, make note of why you don't like it, and remember never to make the same mistakes. Keep a journal, if it helps.


7. Writer's Notebook

I love having a Writer's Notebook. It's a great way to write down any ideas you have. Don't censor yourself. If you want to write down 'Romeo and Juliet in SPACE!!!', then do it. Even if it never becomes the basis for your next great novel, you never know what ramblings of yours might be useful later on. All you have to lose is a little ink from your pen.

1 comments:

Knightmare said...

Research is something I know well, and never utilized to the full extent. That's another reason why I'm redoing some of my stories. Because Bloody Kisses primarily takes place in Spain, I've been looking up Spanish folklore in the event it inspires a local creature.

Each of the vampire clans (I hate that term, it sounds so savage) is located in a different part of the world, and for the major ones, I'm researching local mythology. I feel that keeping things authentic as you can make them really creates atmosphere, and draws the reader in.

I haven't read enough, I'm working on that. I've been reading Laurell K. Hamilton, and started Kim Harrison. I forgot to mention in the other post, I read 'A Wrinkle in Time' back in the 4th grade and I loved that story. The ideas was so far over my head but even then, I knew I wanted to create something that amazing.

I don't quite have a writer's notebook. I have a 'blank book'. When I first started really writing, I was advised to get one. Maybe it's the same thing you're referring to. I haven't used it in a long time because I'm too used to digital writing. A part of me feels like I'm not a 'true' writer because I refuse to use pen and paper.

Okay, I've rambled far too long. Love the blog, it's informative.

Post a Comment