Sunday, June 6, 2010

Letting Go Of Baby

A short post today. First item of business: the first part of my novel, The Witch's Daughter, is officially finished! Er, the rough draft version, of course. I sent it off to my beta-reader, who is a sweetheart, and posted it on fictionpress. I won't send it to The Academy or The Athenaeum until it's been beta read. I know those ladies like their stuff well-looked-over first.

Second item is the actual content of this post...

You have to be able to send your story out into the world. Yes, letting go is hard to do, but it's a necessary step in the writer's journey. As close as a writer can become to the characters in their novels, a time comes when their story is done, the girls are all grown up, and it's time to let go.

It is terrifying to send your baby out to be read and judged by nameless, faceless readers, some of whom you will never meet. However, it can also be extremely exciting and rewarding. I find it spiritually satisfying to share my work, and that feeling usually overcomes the terror that accompanies the release of any written material on my part. So, if you've written something, no matter how short, let it go and share it with others so we can all enjoy your thoughts.

Third item of business. I am looking for new topics to write about! Although I have plenty of ideas, I want this blog to be about its readers, so if you have any writing topics you would like me to discuss, let me know! I'm open to suggestions. Also, thank you to those of you who have left comments! I adore you.

Love and kisses,

Rae

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm looking forward to tackling The Witch's Daughter. Not literally... I don't know her. Yet... Loved the first two parts though. Anyway, best of luck with publishing and congratulations!

Rae D. Magdon said...

Wow, I feel popular with all these comments! I'm glad you're looking forward to The Witch's Daughter, Lauren. Hopefully, it'll be done soon.

Sara... that is a good question. I think that just might be a good subject for my next blog post! Short answer: whenever it feels "right" to you. I would find a small group of close friends and supporters that you can beg (read: force) into reading the first little bits. Once you have a couple of chapters, I see no reason not to post it somewhere. It might give you motivation to finish. Also, why not try some short stories? That way, you can finish it before you post it, and you can always go back and edit it later.

Knightmare said...

My problem is there aren't any writers around me. Unless I count poets, two of the professors at my school are published poets. I'm afraid to show my work to them, though I really do need feedback.

I've been thinking about writer's groups for a long time, it's a struggle to find the right one, with people who read and write things similar to you.

As for releasing stories into the world, I'm body happy and afraid too. I want people to see what I've been working on, and I like when people anticipate something new from me. Of course I always think they're going to say it's trash and to never write anything again. I suppose all authors feel that way at times.

Post a Comment