Sunday, August 1, 2010

A few sentences can go a long way. As a dedicated blogger and writer, I try to write a few sentences every day, even when it is difficult and/or inconvenient. While the rest of my family drove seven hours to Maryland for our family vacation, I was crouched in the back seat writing on a laptop with a dying battery. My reward was several thousand words added to my word count. I have written on napkins, notecards, in email inboxes on public computers, on my celllohone, even on my hands when a journal isn't available.

Today, go out and write. Write a poem. Try a short story. Start a fresh novel. If you have a pen or a computer anywhere nearby, go get it. No excuses. Your family and friends might think that you are crazy. I know that mine do. Eventually, they will get used to it and you can train them not to bother you. Genius and creativity wait for no one! Now, go write.

Don't feel so inspired? Are you less spontaneous than me? Consider starting a Writer's Notebook. You can google it to find out more on how to keep one, but here's a basic summary: it's a place to keep all your snippets, scraps, lists, and ideas, all of your spontaneous thoughts and all of your daily observations. It is an important tool that all writers should use. Anyway, more on that tomorrow. Time for me to continue with my vacation!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe I should wait until you make a bigger post on notebooks, but I'm very enthusiastic and can't wait... I just moved all my writing stuff from various notepad/word documents and cluttery laptop folders into Microsoft One Note. Amazing. I never lose anything anymore. Not even the napkin with the list of names on it (because I scan it in so I can get rid of the gooey napkin). And all the different notebooks and tabs and pages within tabs makes it so I can be as organized or disorganized as I want and still not lose stuff. I. Love. It.

Lauren said...

Happy Vacation! And you're right. Family is totally trainable.

Post a Comment