Sunday, June 13, 2010

Anyone Can Write

Today, my girlfriend decided that she wanted to write a novel.

My first reaction, unfortunately, was: are you joking? Now, although she is a splendid and very creative person, my girlfriend is known to be a horrible procrastinator, and only does work when she absolutely has to. So I did not picture her writing a novel at all. Now, in my defense, I have asked her to write novels with me before (and make a webcomic... and color my drawings... and edit my stories... put pictures to my Youtube videos... and a million other things). The results are fantastic, but she only does it if I pester her.

But as she explained her idea, I thought about it some more. All of the projects that I ask her to work on with me are MY projects. My voice, my thoughts, my ideas. Although she likes them, they are not hers. And the only way to get a novel done is if it inspires you, haunts you, drives you mad until you put pen to paper.

The writing bug has bitten her, too. I think she can do it. Anyone, with the proper madness behind them, can write a novel. It takes a powerful idea that nips at your heels, and it takes dedication to slug through when that idea begins to lag behind. If you have those two things, you can write. Anyone can write.

I am going to do everything I can to support her while she works on her novel. I will remind her about writing a little bit every day, about the different ways to write (pen and paper, computer, even in an e-mail so it feels less intimidating). I will encourage her every step of the way. And I think she can do it.

If you take something away from this blog entry, let it be this: anyone can write a novel. If you've got the stamina and the passion, the novel is as good as done. You just have to do the work. And yes, it is work. Hard, frustrating, sluggish work at times, but it is also exciting work. Inspiring work. Important work. The world needs writers - writers must write for themselves as well as for their readers.

So go write that novel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment